Thursday, 25 April 2013

Tutorial #2: The Walls of Perception.


In this tutorial I created a surreal portrait of Coulter. This are the images I used: 











f / 5.0
1/60
ISO 800


For this tutorial I first made a selection on the left half of Coulter's face and brought it onto a file of a nebula, with an ocean fading off into the "horizon". I then used the brush and pen tool to create a cross section of Coulter's head. The cross section had a rim around it that matched the colour of Coulter's head, while the main colour on the inside was red. I burnt around the rim of the head so it looked like a shadow had been cast on the inside of the head. I then added a two images, (a screw head and a hinge) and warped them so they fit the sides of coulters head. From that point on, all I did was composite different images in to the project. Once that was done I added a gradient fill to the project, and changed the blend mode. Then I burned/dodged everything in the image to make it fit together and add a little depth. 

Thursday, 18 April 2013

Tutorial #1: Tear down the Walls

Here's the finished product from my tutorial:


In this tutorial I created a virtual piece of paper from a photo, that had the subject cut out. Here are the two photo I used:

f/ 3.5                               This is the photo of Coulter that I used as the picture.
1/125s
ISO 800

f/ 4.2                              And this is the photo of the desk that I put the picture on.
1/60s
ISO 800


For this tutorial, I brought the image of Coulter into the same file as the desk and scaled the Coulter image to a reasonable size. Then, using the free transform tool I warped the image of Coulter so that it matched the perspective of the table and looked like a natural piece of paper, with the corner folded off the edge. Then I added the same image in again and repeated the steps, but this time I had the image standing up as opposed to laying down. After that I created a path around Coulter on the standing up image and got rid of space around him. Then I took the same path and transformed it so that is it fit on the laying image so it looked like the part of the photo that remained when it was cut out. When this was done, I stoked the paths with modified spatter brush to give a frayed edge look. Then after some shadow and lighting tweaks to the image, I was done.